Prep Time:10 mins
Cook Time:20 mins
Total Time:30 minutes
Author: Lee Hersh
· 3 large red peppers (or any color!)
· 1/2 lb. ground pork
· 3 tablespoons olive oil
· 1/2 cup shallot, finely minced
· 1 cup red potatoes, finely diced
· 1 cup sweet potato, finely diced
· salt and pepper, to taste
· 1 tablespoon minced garlic
· 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
· 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
· 1 tablespoon maple syrup
· 6 eggs, large
· 1/2 cup white cheddar cheese
1. First, preheat oven to 375ºF and spray a casserole dish or cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Prep peppers by slicing in half (hot dog way) and removing the seeds and innards. Rinse, dry, and set inside casserole dish.
3. Sauté ground pork on medium/high heat for a few minutes, just to cook it about half way. Remove and place in large bowl.
4. Wipe grease from pan and then heat about 3 tablespoons of olive oil to medium/high heat. Add in 1/2 cup shallot, red potato, and sweet potato. Season with minced garlic, Italian seasoning, fresh thyme, salt and pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes only to partially cook the potatoes. They will continue to cook in the oven! Remove and add into the same bowl as the ground pork.
5. Mix together potato mixture with the ground meat. Then, add in about a tablespoon of maple syrup.
6. Use a spoon to transfer mixture into peppers, filling them about 3/4 of the way. You may have a little left over depending on how big your peppers are! Crack a large egg on top of each pepper, being very careful not to puncture the yolk!
7. Place in oven at 375ªF for around 35 minutes (depending on how running you like your yolk.
8. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle on some white cheddar cheese.
Serving Size: 1 Breakfast stuffed pepper
Learn tips to prep food, how to avoid "food pushers" and the best free app to track your calories!